Saturday, July 23, 2011

sniffle


It has been one of those backgrounds, circles, gesso, coughing, sneezing, stuffy head, fever, so you can’t rest weeks. Hello there, summer cold. I think I’ll make some backgrounds, then sit and stare at them.

Where did you get the idea that anyone would be interested in another hypochondriac health update?

Well, SLB, I probably got it from the same place I got the idea to put my little paintings and art journal pages up where folks can actually see them if they’d like. This cold is making me very tired, and I have done less drawing and painting. I hope that making note of how lousy I’ve felt and how little art I’ve done will help me find a way to push through the fatigue and keep going even on down days.

I did draw a cuttlefish, but that was early on in the week. I see more cuttlefish in the future, because I sort of have a crush on them right now. 



PBS Create is showing back to back wine shows today. I usually turn off the TV when the house clears out, but I’ve kept this running in the background because it’s making me want to draw bottles and glasses, maybe grapes.

I have spilled a box of markers and pencils on the floor today. I have spilled my big container of brushes today. I keep knocking shit into the floor. If I didn’t feel so crummy, I would just get down on the floor with everything dumped out around me and work.

I picked it all up, though. I’m staring at the box of pencils and markers right now. Part of me wishes it was better stuff, but another part of me knows that I’m lucky to have what I have. I’m lucky to be faced with the challenge of making something beautiful with what I have on hand.

Something tells me that if I won the art supply lottery, I would still be sitting somewhere with a mechanical pencil and a tub of gesso. Maybe not.

Where was I going with that? I don’t know. This is probably why I call it rambleday.

Perhaps randomday would be better, but no… I’m going to ramble. I just like the feel of that word more.

My art journal is getting harder to scan as I work deeper into the book. I’m doing what I can with what I have to work with, but I find myself cropping out shadows along the side more and more. Or sometimes just leaving them in the photo… which is something I don’t love, but something I have to just deal with until I figure out a good solution.  (By good solution, I do mean free solution.)



I wonder of I should be more tech-y. Maybe I need an art partner with tech-y leanings.

See, now there’s another ramblethought. Art partner. Most of the time art is my good solitude, but now and then I would love to share the process with someone, or work alongside someone on different projects. Art partner. Does that happen?

I mean, not so much a class. I often wish I was sitting at a table with my sister, both of us working on something. I like that thought.

No comments: